Some good pieces of advice from the California yacht broker association (http://www.cyba.info):
Private party sale concerns to consider:
• Do you have a contract outlining the transaction details?
• Will a deposit be held in a legitimate escrow account?
• What sort of evaluation process ensures you are buying a safe and sound boat?
• How will taxes be assessed?
• Is there a clear title?
• How can you ensure a secure final payment?
• What happens if there is a dispute and who resolves it?
Please let me know if you have any tips to address these concerns!
Lastly, here are a couple of examples of bills of sale, as brought to you by the RYA and the Department of Transport:
RYA bill of sale – click here for downloadable version
U.K. Department of Transport bill of sale – click here for downloadable version
U.S. Coast Guard bill of sale – click here for downloadable version